Futurama Wiki

September 1, 2021: It is now required to have an account to edit here. Read the blog to see why this was necessary.

READ MORE

Futurama Wiki
Advertisement
Futurama Wiki

Jam a bastard in it, you crap!

–Carol Miller, Future Stock

Carol Miller[1] (born January 30, 2880), better known as Mom, is the evil chief executive officer and shareholder of 99.7% of MomCorp, one of the largest industrial conglomerates in the universe and the source of most of Earth's robots. She is also one of the main antagonists of the Futurama series.

Personality

Mom in her loving caring suit.

As one of the richest people on Earth, she maintains her public image as a sweet, matronly figure through the use of things such as a fat-suit, a heart-shaped hairdo and putting on a facade which casts her as the friendly mother of all robots hiding her true persona. It seems to fool everybody except the Planet Express crew, who have seen her true nature.

Mom’s true personality is best described as misanthropic, two-faced, pure greedy, sinister, cunning, narcissistic, foul-mouthed, intensely arrogant, harsh-tempered, megalomaniac, ruthless, scheming, cold-hearted, argumentative, cruel, witty, wrathful, callous, resourceful, neglectful, uncaring, sophisticated, evil, malevolent, resentful and above all a true sociopath.

Carol claims to love her three sons, Walt, Larry and Igner. Unfortunately she is not above slapping them seconds after this claim, constantly insults them, and has even told them to their faces that at least one of them she contemplated throwing away at birth. She sends them on dangerous and morally degrading missions. Carol has also claimed to love Farnsworth, but similarly has manipulated and lied to him. These abuses of even those who genuinely love her are proof of a full sociopath.

Carol is not above using criminal methods or unethical business practices to accumulate greater profits. She has been known to use covert action to eliminate threats from other companies or to keep potential products from the market. She is also obsessed with taking down Planet Express in order to create a full monopoly on delivery companies. However, due to the company's willingness to take suicide delivery mission to places where no one dares to go, even the employees of her delivery division, this plan never succeeds.

All robots produced by MomCorp have been equipped with a device that allows Carol to force them to do her bidding, although she appears to have used this only once on Mother's Day in 3003. She receives yearly Mother's Day gifts and cards from the robots, which she turns into hocus-pocus cures for cancer and orphanage-grade toilet paper respectively.

Family

Carol Miller was briefly married to Ogden Wernstrom, with whom it is possible she had two sons, Walt and Larry. She then became romantically involved with Hubert J. Farnsworth while he was an employee at MomCorp and had an illicit affair with him. They separated after she turned his invention Q.T. McWhiskers into a weapon of war, but not before she became pregnant with her third son Igner (although neither Hubert nor Igner were aware of this until the events of Bender's Game).

At several points Carol has temporarily gotten back together with Professors Farnsworth and Wernstrom.

Companies

  • Mom's friendly robot company
  • Mom's friendly robot oil
  • Mom's friendly delivery company
  • Mom's friendly dark matter
  • Mom's eyephones
  • Mom's old fashioned video surveillance company

Trivia

  • She apparently holds the trademark on the words "Mom", "Love" and "Screen Door".
  • She owns 99.7% of her conglomerate company MomCorp. The remaining 0.3% is split evenly between her three sons, each owning 0.1%.
  • In "The Tip of the Zoidberg", Zoidberg reveals that her first name is Carol, though she is nearly always referred to as Mom.
  • Mom is similar to Mr. Burns from The Simpsons, another Matt Groening cartoon.
  • Mom has arguably the most exaggerated appearance, in how her body looks and moves when she's not in her dress. Additionally, she is arguably the most vulgar, if only the most creative in her insults and cursing.
  • In the third segment of Anthology of Interest II, Wizzin', she takes the role of the Wicked Witch of the West.
  • Mom's original real name was Edna Miller, named by writer Patric Verrone after his mother. This was revealed by Matt Groening in a Reddit AMA on June 29th, 2017.[2]

Appearances

Episodes

Specials

Films

Games

References

Advertisement