- "Once invoked, the sacred tradition of Claw-Plach can not be taken back. It is a recent tradition, only 18-years-old, but it is a tradition none the less."
- ―Decapod Emperor[source]
Claw-Plach was a Decapodian ceremony used to decide issues of honor and whether or not abbreviations count in scrabble. The ceremony, which was started in 2983, takes place in an open amphitheater with knee-high mud and is presided over by the Decapod Emperor.
In 3001, Zoidberg challenged Fry to Claw-Plach for the claw of Edna. Fry was given the first choice of weapon after correctly guessing what animal the Emperor was thinking of. It is unclear whether this is the standard method of determining who chooses first or was the method chosen by the Emperor for that particular event. Fry choose a giant nut cracker. Fry got the upper-hand on Zoidberg with the nut cracker around Zoidberg's neck. Rather than kill Zoidberg, Fry released him and gave a speech about the pointlessness of the fight. With Fry's back to him, Zoidberg took this opportunity to cut Fry's arm off, which enraged Fry back into the fight. This particular fight was suspended indefinitely when the Decapod Emperor and Edna ran off to the mating frenzy together with the rest of the population.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The concept of Claw-Plach comes from the Star Trek: The Original Series episode "Amok Time" and the Vulcan ceremony of Kal-if-fee. The name is similar to the Klingonese expression Qapla, which means "success!"
- Also a reference to San Juan Mexico, Chiapas Highlands region where the men tradition of dueling each other called "k'ehel k'op" with verbal insults and puns ( Reference John Pollack - The Pun Also Rises May 2011 Gotham Books)
- The Ahn-woon, a Vulcan weapon, is shown as one of the weapons Fry can choose from.
- It should also be noted that the Decapodian National Anthem is the same song from the Star Trek episode, Amok Time.