Chef Elzar (born January 25, 2965) is a recurring character on Futurama. He is four-armed Neptunian chef who runs the restaurant Elzar's Fine Cuisine and hosts his own cooking show "Essence of Elzar".
Elzar came to the public's attention when he usurped his former teacher Helmut Spargle's time slot, replacing Spargle's famous show with "Essence of Elzar". His flamboyant, stylish method of food preparation made him a star and he was able to open a successful, albeit not the cleanest restaurant in New New York.
At some point he became the sitting champion of the popular television cooking competition-show "Iron Cook" held at Kitchen Colosseum until he was defeated by Bender Bending Rodríguez, the protege of Helmut Spargle, as well as a small vial of water mixed with LSD.
He never passes up an opportunity to milk money from his customers and fans. After blinding Turanga Leela, he offered to cook the entire Planet Express crew a meal, giving them the impression that it was free so he wouldn't get sued, only to charge them $1200 at the end.
Elzar's favorite cooking implement is his Spice Weasel, a rodent-like creature which propels a cloud of spices from its snout upon having its body squeezed, which he uses to "knock it up a notch."
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
- The character of Elzar and Elzar's catch-phrases, "Bam" and "Let's knock it up a notch", are a reference to the celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse.
- Elzar's physical appearance may be a reference to the four-armed television chef Gormaanda of the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special.
- Elzar's accent takes on qualities from Fall River, Massachusetts, as noted by Billy West in the volume 5 commentaries.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Episodes[edit | edit source]
- "My Three Suns"
- "Put Your Head on My Shoulder"
- "A Clone of My Own"
- "Bender Gets Made"
- "Bendless Love"
- "The Cyber House Rules"
- "Future Stock"
- "The Late Philip J. Fry"
- "30% Iron Chef"
- "Bend Her"
- "Three Hundred Big Boys"
- "Raging Bender"
- "The Butterjunk Effect"
- "Fun on a Bun"
- "The Mutants Are Revolting"